Re: Mark Montague: success report with sparc and hppa cd images (with minor issues)

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 05:45:41PM -0700, Mark Montague wrote:

> I also thought a little more about the mime-support issue below, and
> realize that it's an extra-weird situation, in that, e.g. lynx
> Recommends: mime-support, and certainly shouldn't Depends:
> mime-support, but it would need the equivalent of Pre-Depends, e.g.
> Pre-Recommends: mime-support or some such, but no such category seems
> to exist. I'm not sure where I should bug report this...
>
> - -- a number of base packages complain that mime-support needs to be set
>    up; the ones I had problems with were lynx, less, and lpr:
>
> Setting up less (358-9) ...
> Warning: could not read '/etc/mailcap' (update stopped) -- No such
> file or directory
>     restore from backup or delete and re-install mime-support package

I filed a bug on tasksel for this, but that was the wrong place. It's
actually a message from update-mime. The problem is that these packages are
not supposed to depend on mime-support, and just call update-mime if it
exists. apt-get does all the installations, then goes back and does all the
postinst's. So the deal is, the update-mime script has been installed, but
the mime-support postinst hasn't been run yet, which is where /etc/mailcap
gets created. And apparently update-mime isn't smart enough to create a new
/etc/mailcap when it's missing, and complains instead.

I was going to try to figure out a patch to send in with a bug report, but
if you beat me to it, so much the better...

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |

----- End forwarded message -----