Re: Booting problem on 712/60 STI

Karol Ostrovsky wrote:
> I have a 712/60 with 32MB memory and 1GB HDD, firmware version 1.5,

latest firmware for 712 is 2.3.
Try to get the PA-RISC FAQ from www.parisc-linux.org.

> external CD-ROM running old version of NeXT Step. I downloaded, MD5
> checked, and burned 3 ISOs: version 0.6.1-32STI, 0.9-32STI, and 0.9.2.

You should really only need 0.9.2.
> I can read the CDs under NeXT Step. BUT I cannot boot from them! In
> BOOT_ADMIN when I try to boot from CD-ROM, it reads from it for about 2
> seconds and then it comes back to BOOT_ADMIN. No error messages nothing.

hmm...either the CDs weren't burned correctly or the firmware is having
problems with the CD-Drive. The IODC (part of firmware) SCSI support
is fairly primitive. If you can boot NeXT step or HPUX CD-ROM from the
CD-drive we could rule out firmware issues.

grant