HPPA linux install on 715/33 hanging at "Console: colour dummy device 80x25"

Hello there. I've got an Apollo 9000 715/33 that I'm installing
PA-Linux on to use as a syslog server.  Equipment I have for
use in the system are: 2GB DDS drive, HP Colorado 4000
TR4 drive, Plextor CDROM, an array of available SCSI drives
that all work.  Machine has ROM versions: PDC 1.4, IODC 1.2,
16MB ram.

I am installing from the STI-32bit image, using a standard HIL
keyboard.  Date _is_ set before booting from CD.
My issue is that I can boot from the install CD, and the kernel
starts to load, I get a display of devices detected (serial, HIL,
video etc. 11 total)
------------<snip>-----------
That's a total of 11 devices.
CPU(s): 1 x PA7100 (PCX-T) at 33.333500 MHz
Kernel command line: HOME=/ TERM=linux root=/dev/ram \
console=tty0 sti=0 sti_font=VGA8x16
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
-------------<snip>----------

Hangs here.  I'm guessing it has to do with the 1.4 ROM version
I'm using.  I'm currently trying to updateto 1.6, but can't run HP's
update (PF_C7X50016) script within a Linux/Intel box as I get
an "unary operator expected" error and it halts.

Any ideas?  I appreciate any responses and will try all recommendations.
My pre-emptive thanks!

Cheers,

/eli

Eli Stair