uname -m return?

Greetings,

I'm working on a package where upstream wants their architecture script to
return a name and build accordingly based on the results of uname -s and uname
-m (so I can't use dpkg-architecture).  What does the latter return on hppa,
m68k, mips and sparc?  Can I safely assume they're all 32-bit big-endian, so
the powerpc config can be used, or is e.g. "mips" returned on both 32- and
64-bit platforms?

(Please cc me in replies.)

TIA,

-Adam P.