Re: Buster to be released with singularity-container?

Hi again, Salavatore & rest of the security team

على ١٢‏/٤‏/١٤٤٠ هـ ‫١:٢٤ م، كتب Afif Elghraoui:

On December 18, 2018 12:18:16 AM EST, Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> wrote:

But we need your input here as the maintainers :)

What do you think?

It's hard to say since this latest CVE is not really a good example.
2.6.1
was released as a courtesy--security support is only promised for the
latest
version, which is 3.0.1 currently, so I don't know what this
situation would
look like if that wasn't the case. I will need to contact upstream
and find
out.

Ack, thanks let us know the outcome, bearing in mind that we have
still time but not too much.

I contacted upstream. The worst-case scenario is that a new vulnerability is found which does not affect the current version, but affects the version in Stable. Upstream would still issue a CVE, but may not issue a patch at all. We may be on our own to patch it in that case. I personally don't feel that I'm up to it. Not sure about anyone else.

Discussion about this has come up in the upstream google group [1]. The statement by upstream is https://groups.google.com/a/lbl.gov/d/msg/singularity/kbtX1UekVrg/KKpjEysBDAAJ , but I would just like to be clear on the possibility of an exception to update a version in Stable in case of large code changes--as mentioned in your FAQ page [2]--since it seems that this would be the problematic case we'd encounter. It seems we'll be fine in other cases.

regards
Afif

1. https://groups.google.com/a/lbl.gov/forum/#!topic/singularity/kbtX1UekVrg
2. https://www.debian.org/security/faq#oldversion