Re: Haskell transition (LTS 21.16)

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 04:19PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Pandoc has restructured its source to require compilation in multiple
> stages.  Packaging is already relatively complex, and I expect handling
> multi-staged building with CDBS to become overly complex.

If I understand correctly, you are bumping into #1016650 [1], i.e.,
haskell-devscripts does not support packages with internal libraries.

If that's the case, then a quick-and-dirty workaround (until we can work
on this bug) would be to patch Pandoc and remove the internal libraries
(we have done this in haskell-attoparsec, see [2])

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/1016650
[2] https://sources.debian.org/src/haskell-attoparsec/0.14.4-3/debian/patches/remove-internal-library/

> Therefore I have tried - using some of the other far simpler packages as
> tests - to move from CDBS to dh-haskell.  But have not yet succeeded in
> that.

If you are facing the above bug, then moving to dh-haskell will not
help. As far as I can tell, dh-haskell uses haskell-devscripts
underneath, so I expect the same limitation/bug to exist there as well.

> It would be helpful if someone can point to a Debian package succesfully
> packaging a Haskell library using dh-haskell and without CDBS.

I believe we don't use dh-haskell at all in DHG. It would be great to
move away from CDBS at some point, but I am not sure anyone is actively
working on this right now.

--
Ilias