Re: Contributing, copilot 0.14, and ogma

On Sun, 9 Apr 2023, Ivan Perez wrote:

Hi everyone,

We've published a new version of copilot 0.14 in March. I thought that perhaps I could use that as my first contribution to debian-haskell and send a PR. It's a small step, but hopefully it'll allow me in the future to help with other packages. Thoughts?

Also, there's a NASA application that I'd be very happy if it could be included in debian. It's ogma (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/ogma-cli).

It's composed of 9 packages, but otherwise it's not very dependency heavy. I don't expect the dependencies to grow in the future. libghc-copilot-dev could be recommended with Ogma; it's not currently required (some use cases do not require Haskell knowledge), but Copilot may be linked in ogma in future releases.

Hey Ivan,

Debian is currently in a "hard freeze" state[1] for the Bookworm release. This means that really only small-targeted fixes can be made in the testing release. Technically, updated packages can be uploaded to unstable (but not migrate to testing), but this is generally discouraged since if a fix is needed in testing, it has to go through unstable, so those changes in unstable would have to be reverted.

Adding new packages, on the other hand, is probably fine (assuming they don't require any changes/updates to existing packages) - they just won't migrate to testing until after the Bookworm release. So, if you wanted to take a stab at packaging some new packages, that's probably fine.

Scott

[1] https://release.debian.org/bookworm/freeze_policy.html#hard