Re: Contributing to pandoc dependencies

Quoting Robert Greener (2022-05-30 12:48:42)
> On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 08:49 +0000, Robert Greener wrote:
> > > I use pbuilder indeed.
> > >
> > > If the build requires a UTF-8 locale set, then it is wrong to rely
> > > on
> > > the build environment doing that: The build routines should
> > > establish
> > > that!
> >
> > I'm not too sure how to set it to be honest! There is a bug on Ubuntu
> > discussing it here[1]. I /think/ (from reading the comments) that it
> > isn't possible to set it with pbuilder as it is. However, all
> > official
> > Debian and Ubuntu builds use C.UTF-8, so it will build okay here. Do
> > you think I should raise a bug on the pbuilder package?
> >
> > Or, do you think it would work if we just set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 in
> > debian/rules?
>
> Setting LC_ALL does work. I've uploaded the fixes to mentors[1,2] and
> opened two MR[3,4] which fixes the FTBFS bugs.

For future sake, when you have an idea for a packaging trick but am
unsure if it'll work, you might find it helpful to lookup if others are
doing something similar - e.g. at https://codesearch.debian.net/
using this search query: LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 path:debian

> Would you be okay to merge the requests and upload the packages Jonas?

Sorry, I have 20+ years of experience maintaining packages in Debian, with
10+ years doing so with a git-buildpackage-ish workflow, and currently
maintain 600+ packages.  All my experience is however done
project-centric, and I feel totally alienated by the multi-project
packaging approach practiced in the Haskell and Rust teams.

So no, I cannot (or rather will not invest needed time to learn to)
handle multi-project package maintenance.

 - Jonas