Re: Hackage revisions and the current breakage of https://jenkins.debian.net/view/haskell/job/haskell-package-plan/

Hi Ilias

> In my opinion, it is unfortunate that
> Hackage allows for metadata to be updated without changing the version
> of a package, because this means that releases are not immutable.

Technically, if we took 0.5.3-r1 as the version, not just 0.5.3,
it becomes immutable again. I guess you considered such a change
and decided against it?

> Now, as you already said, package-plan is another story. It uses cabal
> for testing co-installability of our packages, and hence always
> retrieves the latest available revision which is *not* what we want,
> since it differs from what the actual Debian packages use.

Yep, I noticed you use just `cabal update` to get the .cabal files,
which indeed gets the latest revision. I'm told rev0 can be
relatively easy recovered from the very tarball, because the tarball
contains all the (reverse) history. But there is probably no ready tool
that does that. Worth a try?

> a) Modify the patch to apply to the latest revision. This is a short
> term solution, since it will fail as soon as the maintainer uploads a
> new revision.

But modify it only in package-plan repo, not in DHG_packages, right?
So we end up with different patches in the two repos. Messy.
And, as you say, it gets overwritten randomly.

> b) Instruct package-plan to use the rev0 for this particular package, by
> placing the cabal file in the additional-cabals folder. From README.md:

Oh, a nice trick, thank you.

Cheers,
Mikolaj