Re: Hackage revisions and the current breakage of https://jenkins.debian.net/view/haskell/job/haskell-package-plan/

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 02:02PM, Mikolaj Konarski wrote:
> Technically, if we took 0.5.3-r1 as the version, not just 0.5.3,
> it becomes immutable again. I guess you considered such a change
> and decided against it?

The think is, there is no way to request '0.5.3-r1' from cabal.
We still need to teach 'package-plan' to parse 0.5.3-r1, download the
correct revision and place it in the internal "repository" as 0.5.3.

This is the same as modifying 'package-plan' to always use rev0.
That way, '0.5.3' will always translate to '0.5.3-r0' for package-plan,
even if it means different things for cabal.

> Yep, I noticed you use just `cabal update` to get the .cabal files,
> which indeed gets the latest revision. I'm told rev0 can be
> relatively easy recovered from the very tarball, because the tarball
> contains all the (reverse) history. But there is probably no ready tool
> that does that. Worth a try?

I unpacked a freshly downloaded '01-index.tar' file, but couldn't find
rev0 for hackage-security-0.5.3.0. It does contain older versions, but
no older metadata revisions. Am I missing something?

> But modify it only in package-plan repo, not in DHG_packages, right?

Correct.

Cheers,

--
Ilias