Re: The current PIC/PIE patches for ghc 8.0

Hi Erik,

Thanks for working on this.

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 08:14PM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> I have however found another (better) solution to this problem (provided
> by one of the other GHC devs). The solution is to configure GHC with:
>
>     ./configure \
>         CONF_CC_OPTS_STAGE2=-fno-PIE \
>         CONF_GCC_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE2=-no-pie \
>         CONF_LD_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE2=-no-pie \
>         ${other_config_options}
>
> Configured like this (and without the patches currently in the Debian
> tree), GHC passes all tests.

This is very similar with what we had on ghc v8.0.1-5 (dropped by
commit f9271c77). Back then, GHC would build fine, but would fail to
build other packages (i.e., magic for example). See also:

    https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2016/10/msg00039.html

I do not have experience with the GHC build system, but it seems to me
that it was `hsc2hs' that was failing, and that's because `hsc2hs' is
configured using the stage1 options (rather than stage2).

Could you try and compile the magic library using your patch?

--
Ilias