Re: Should we remove profiling libraries

On 2016-11-07 13:41:56, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in light of #842740 and regularly hitting resource boundaries, the
> question arises if we should maybe stop shipping -prof libraries.
>
> The are slightly useful to me, and to anyone having a debian-package
> based development flow, but I assume that there are only few such
> people, as stack and nix-style cabal get better and better.

I guess the more high-level question is what's the purpose of packaging
Haskell in Debian: to allow people to build and run their Haskell
applications (in which case -prof is not needed), or to allow people to
also develop/debug/troubleshoot using only Debian packages?

Purity would say the latter, but in practice it might I guess the more
high-level question is what's the purpose of packaging Haskell in
Debian: to allow people to build and run their Haskell applications (in
which case -prof is not needed), or to allow people to also
develop/debug/troubleshoot using only Debian packages?

Purity would say the latter, but in practice it might be that build
resources are better spent on the former.

> I’m just throwing this out there; I’m not too convinced of either
> option.

Me neither, I think.

iustin