Re: What’s up with Haskell?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:10:42 +0200
Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 12.07.2016, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:31:22 +0200
> > Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I lost a bit of oversight. Where are we right now?
> > >
> > > Has all of LTS-6 migrated to testing?
> >
> > I still we are still waiting for a testing migration, which is blocked
> > by reverse dependencies of openglraw that aren't removed yet. I started
> > filing bugs about them, but problems in my mailer prevented me from
> > filing all of them.
>
> according to #debian-haskell, testing migration was just done, after
> three removal hints by pichu:
>
> <pochu> # haskell transition
> <pochu> remove haskell-gloss-rendering/1.10.1.1-1 haskell-gloss/1.10.1.1-1 gitit/0.12.1-2
> <pochu> and things migrated to testing

Yay!

> > > Should we update to LTS-6.7, to get some newer packages in?
> > >
> > > Is it worth starting to stage GHC-6 and LTS-7 (based on nightly) on a
> > > branch in the repository?
> >
> > [snip]
>
> > I still don't have comprehensive test about my changes to
> > haskell-devscripts and dh-haskell still needs to be updated to handle
> > the new ABIs correctly.
>
> Ok
>
> > Another problem is that updating GHC-8 with the new haskell-devscripts
> > causes a one-time bootstrapping problem, as GHC-8 needs the
> > haskell-devscripts-nocolour >= 0.10.3 to handle the ABIs correctly, but
> > the new version of haskell-devscripts needs GHC-8 as earlier versions
> > of ghc-pkg aren't able to retrieve the abi field, like
> > haskell-devscripts requires it.
>
> Hmm. Any chance to make haskell-devscripts fall back to parsing the
> package id, to avoid such problems.

Sounds reasonable.

> > We can prevent this by shipping the next version of GHC with it's own
> > version of dh_haskell_provides again and making it depend on
> > haskell-devscripts-nocolour once we have GHC-8 in unstable. That
> > shouldn't be hard, but still needs to be done.
>
> Might work, but then we’d have to do that as well for backports? And so
> on?

Probably, so your proposed solution above is probably better.

> Oh, that reminds me of another reason why haskell-devscripts depends on
> ghc (and not the other way around):
>
> When upload, say, ghc-8 to experimental, we want to upload all Haskell
> packages to experimental.  To ensure that they are built with ghc, what
> we did previously, was to bump the dependency of haskell-devscripts on
> ghc to ghc (>= 8.0), and then the individual packages only get their
> haskell-devscripts build-dependency bumped.
>
> Nevermind, we can still do the same in haskell-devscripts, as before.

I don't see the problem here. Even if we didn't split
haskell-devscripts, it would still have its dependency on GHC, which we
would bump.

> But can we find a better name than -nocolour? There might be other
> packages that we might want haskell-devscripts to depend on (not fully
> realistic, but an example: hoogle). Maybe haskell-devscripts-files?
> haskell-devscripts-stage1? haskell-devscripts-common? haskell-
> devscripts-bootstrap?

 - haskell-devscripts-files: Sounds reasonable
 - haskell-devscripts-stage1: Feels a bit strange to me, even though I
   can't tell why
 - haskell-devscripts-common: Seems out of place, as the -common suffix
   is AFAIK usually used for other situtations.
 - haskell-devscripts-bootstrap: Seems alright.

I think haskell-devscripts-minimal might also fit.

Regards
Sven