Forking a discontinued package

I'm packaging a Haskell project that needs the now-discontinued
haskell-download-curl. (Discontinued in Debian, not discontinued on
Hackage.)

This gives me a problem, of course. However, my package is unlikely to
end up in Debian, and will most likely just be distributed within my
company by hosting it on our internal repo. (Although it is open-source:
https://github.com/neilmayhew/RepoExplorer/). So the easiest solution I
could see was for me to resurrect the debian directory for
haskell-download-curl and host it myself. I did this by cloning
DHG_packages and using git filter-branch to extract just
p/haskell-download-curl/. I added a couple of commits changing the
maintainer and VCS address and adding a new README, and pushed the
result to github:

https://github.com/neilmayhew/haskell-download-curl

The package builds using pbuilder, and my main program is able to build
against it, also in pbuilder.

Is this an OK thing to do, and are there any details I haven't got
right, particularly regarding attribution and copyright? I don't have a
LICENSE file at the top level yet because I didn't see a copyright
statement for the packaging itself. The one in debian/copyright appears
to be for the upstream source rather than the packaging.