Re: darcs.debian.org broken?

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 22.07.2015, 11:05 +0200 schrieb Holger Levsen:
> On Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2015, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > precisely! Haskell package maintenance is rarely about an individual
> > package, but more often about all of them at once.
>
> this thread made me wondering, why you don't maintain all haskell packages as
> a single source package then?

I actually have considered it, and it would make testing transitions
much easier, and Haskell would not be intermittently broken in
unstable.

But there are major downsides:

 * Not all packages build on all architectures. By Build-Depending on a
   virtual package, this does not require manual intervention.
 * Uploading any change, even small, local changes would require a
   multi-hour build of the developer.
 * ...followed by a multi-day-build on the weak architectures.
 * I don’t know what the version of that package should be.
 * I don’t know how well dpkg, dak and the archive handles a source
   package with 700 different orig-tarballs.
 * Tools like uscan do not handle multiple original tarballs well.