Re: [Pkg-haskell-maintainers] Classification of Haskell source packages

Hi Antoine,

Am Samstag, den 27.12.2014, 15:12 -0600 schrieb Antoine Latter:

> It looks like starting in jessie our Haskell source packages are split
> between https://packages.debian.org/source/testing/haskell/ and
> https://packages.debian.org/source/testing/misc/ - previously (in
> wheezy) all of the Haskell source packages where in the 'haskell'
> section.
>
> Is there a reason for the difference?

No idea. But it should be "haskell"

>  Or is it just that the 'section' doesn't matter much, and sometimes
> things move around?

Yes, it doesn’t matter that much.

> I've been scraping the 'haskell' section creating "cabal.config" files
> that act as version constraints to mimic various platforms - for
> example:
> https://github.com/aslatter/haskell-constraints/blob/master/debian/jessie/cabal.config

There is a better way: Take the Packages file for the distribution you
care about, and use the Ghc-Package field. This also allows you to get
the Cabal name, and not the Debian package name.

Have a look at http://darcs.nomeata.de/hpvt/ which produces the data
that ends up in the Distribution line of hackage pages.

> The goal is to be able to use "cabal.config" files to mimic common
> environments my libraries may be used in for testing out builds:
> https://github.com/aslatter/qc-instances/blob/feature-travis-constraints/.travis.yml

Cool idea.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it does not work in practice, as occasionally
we patch packages, e.g. extend dependency ranges in the .cabal files,
without changing the version number. If that happens, your .cabal file
will never be installable.