Re: ghc 7.8.3 on sid

Dear Mauricio,

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 20:53 -0300, Mauricio Faria de Oliveira wrote:
> Is there any plans/estimate date for when ghc 7.8.3 will land in sid?
> (sorry if it's already documented somewhere, but I couldn't find it.)
>
> The ppc64el port would need it due to ghci, which would move out 56
> packages from BD-Uninstallable, and potentially 70 libghc-* packages
> which are missing.
>
> ghc 7.8.3 from experimental builds successfully on ppc64el, and I'm
> running its upstream testsuite this night, so I'll have results soon.

we are past the date to accept new transitions; GHC 7.8.3 would be a
major transition, so this won’t happen until after the release.

Besides this: We are having trouble keeping our Haskell libraries
up-to-date (for both technical reasons and due to lack of manpower). But
the upgrade to 7.8 will more likely work if we have new versions of most
libraries. So even besides the freeze, we shouldn’t upgrade now.

And finally, there is upstream doubt about whether they revert their
change to use the system linker. I’d rather see that settle first.

That said, I’m happy to apply ppc64el-related patches to 7.6.3.