Re: GHC FFI libraries depend on unversioned SO.

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 21.08.2014, 13:03 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> I noticed that libghc-regex-pcre-dev doesn't depend on libpcre6, which
> causes it to fail at import.
> I tried to fix that and noticed that ghc searches for the unversioned
> SO (i.e. libpcre.so instead of libpcre.so.3).
>
> Is this normal with GHC or is this just some bug in regex-pcre?
> If this is a common case, what cen we do against it? Is this only
> something that can be fixed in GHC or can we fix this by some linker
> options?

it’s normal, and one of the reasons we depend on the libfoo-dev package.
If it breaks we fix it by binNMUing, I guess.

But I don’t think anyone ever looked into it in detail, and if it would
work that we can make GHC look for the versioned file and then maybe
drop the dependency on libfoo-dev, that’d be great!