Re: Recommended versions on Hackage and Debian

Dear Simon,

Am Sonntag, den 16.02.2014, 14:01 +0100 schrieb Simon Hengel:
> Hi Joachim,
> I'm planning to release a technology preview for Hspec 2.0 to Hackage.
> I'd releases it as 1.99.0  and set the preferred versions for Hspec to <
> 1.99 on Hackage.
>
> Distributors should not package 1.99.*.
>
> Does this approach cause any issues for Debian? (Say, do you take
> Hackage's preferred versions into account when packaging?)

currently, we are not very aware of preferred versions, so it might
happen that someone accidentally package a non-preferred version.

Can Cabal be instructed to not consider non-preferred versions, and
print an error/warning otherwise? In that case, we could add that to our
upgrade-planning-tool (which uses cabal).

If you mention that something is not production ready in the package
description, that would also have good chances of not slipping into
Debian.