Re: Lintian Warnings

Hi Christopher,

Quoting Christopher Reichert (2014-11-29 06:10:04)
> I've been working on the haskell-hsqml package and I noticed some
> minor Lintian warnings:
>
> ```
> W: haskell-hsqml source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.5 (current is 3.9.6)
> ```
>
> Is it okay for me to bump this to 3.9.6 in tools/template-debian? I've
> compiled against some test packages and it doesn't seem to break any
> packages.. Here is a list of some other affected pkg-haskell packages
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/out-of-date-standards-version.html

That number in the control file do not change anything for the
compilation, but is a from you the maintainer to the rest of the World
which version of Debian Policy you've checked and verified that the
package complies with.

So yes, do update it, but do it *only* after actually verifying that the
package actually do comply with newer version of Debian Policy.

To help check that, you may find this file handy:
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz

> I also noticed:
> ```
> W: libghc-hsqml-dev: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> ```
>
> I didn't open an itp bug for network-conduit-tls so I'm assuming this
> is not extremely important. Just curious as I would like to fix what I
> can.

If you create a new package without doing the recommended(!) announcing
it through filing an ITP bug about it, then yes, you can simply ignore
that warning.

Regards,

 - Jonas