Re: [Fwd: Proposal: Improving the LLVM backend by packaging it]

Hello

Obviously, I don't really like code duplication on a project like LLVM.
Especially since it seems like a fork.

If upstream goes this way (and I agree that it is going to be hard for the Debian
maintainer of ghc to go against that), it is going to be hard for the maintainer,
especially if there is no plan to sync LLVM from time to time (if they do,
well, you should be quite fine, LLVM is not super hard to maintain and we
can always exchange info).

However, I think upstream (ghc) should try to work more closely with LLVM and find a better
way to collaborate. Having patches applied in LLVM itself is simple and usually
fast.

BTW, there are discussion on LLVM mailing list on this topic.

So, I am not going to give a green or red light. I don't think this is going
to affect my work... Mostly, it is going to affect yours.

Cheers,
Sylvestre