Re: ghc 7.8.3 on sid

Hi Joachim,

On 09/16/2014 04:19 AM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
we are past the date to accept new transitions; GHC 7.8.3 would be a
major transition, so this won’t happen until after the release.

Ok, that's certainly understandable.

Besides this: We are having trouble keeping our Haskell libraries
up-to-date (for both technical reasons and due to lack of manpower). But
the upgrade to 7.8 will more likely work if we have new versions of most
libraries. So even besides the freeze, we shouldn’t upgrade now.

And finally, there is upstream doubt about whether they revert their
change to use the system linker. I’d rather see that settle first.

Thanks for explaining those points; very good to know.

That said, I’m happy to apply ppc64el-related patches to 7.6.3.

Great. Although I don't know the effort required to make ghci 7.6.3
work on ppc64el, I'd be glad to take a chance.

On that topic, would you be available for commenting on questions
that I can't find answers on the website/documentation/source-code?

Thanks!

--
Mauricio Faria de Oliveira
IBM Linux Technology Center