An: Planet Haskell <mail@joachim-breitner.de>
Betreff: ghc 7.8.3 and rare architectures
Datum: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:35:13 -0000

                               Feed:
Planet Haskell
                               Item:
ghc 7.8.3 and rare architectures
After some initially positive experience with ghc-7.8-rc1 I’ve decided
to upstream most of gentoo fixes.

On rare arches ghc-7.8.3 behaves a bit bad:

      * ia64 build stopped being able to link itself after ghc-7.4
        (gprel overflow)
      * on sparc, ia64 and ppc ghc was not able to create working shared
        libraries
      * integer-gmp library on ia64 crashed, and we had to use
        integer-simple

I have written a small story of those fixes here if you are curious.

TL;DR:

To get ghc-7.8.3 working nicer for exotic arches you will need to
backport at least the following patches:

      * integer literals trimming
      * incorrect -fPIC passing to the assembler
      * fixed foreign export propotype

Thank you!