Re: Help wanted: HTTP proxy bug

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 10:14:13AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> cabal-install currently doesn’t work with some proxies:
> https://github.com/haskell/HTTP/issues/68
>
> This affects us (e.g. it breaks our package-plan jenkings job), and it
> would be nice to not have that bug in our next stable release.
> Unfortunately, HTTP maintenance means keeping it compiling and merging
> patches, but not debugging etc.
>
> Hence I’m looking for volunteers who would like to work on actual
> Haskell code (instead of just packaging scripts all the time) to look
> into the issue: See if you can reproduce it, find the code that needs to
> be changed and possibly even change it.

Funny, the first thing I thought about when I saw this message was the
problems I had with apt-get from old Debian versions (about 8 years
ago), which had problems with pipelining - we had to disable pipelining
in the Debian installer at work, in order to work around Squid issues.

And the issue you mention is exactly this - HTTP has pipelining issues
because it interacts badly with Squid.

Would a workaround of simply add a no-pipelining option be enough?

regards,
iustin