Re: Packages naming convention

Hi Raúl,

Am Montag, den 15.07.2013, 19:29 -0300 schrieb Raúl Benencia:
> One of the first things that came into my mind yesterday when I was about
> to start the soon-to-be-canceled misfortune package was the name of the
> source and binary packages. TTBOMK there seems to be a tacit naming
> convention that evolved from the outdated Haskell policy.

I made an attempt to update it three years ago, but did not complete it.
The darcs repo is at darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/policy; once we have
discussed it here feel free to put the final wording there (and put your
name prominently in the Copyright Notice :-)), and link it from the
Processes wiki.

> Here is a draft that I've written according to what I could deduce along
> with the Haskell Policy and an email[1] Joachim sent I few months
> ago.

cool, thanks.

> | == Package naming convention ==
> |
> | There are three kind of packages maintained by this team:
> |  1. Applications
> |  2. Libraries
> |  3. Applications that also produces library binary packages
> |
> | For the first group, the convention is to name the source and binary
> | packages with the upstream software name.
> |
> | For the second group, the convention is to name the source package with
> | "haskell-<upstream>", and the library binary packages with
> | libghc-<upstream>-(dev|doc|prof).

Just for completeness: Add that the name is lower-cased.

Also add that a possibly “haskell-” component in the upstream name, if
it just refers to how it is implemented (e.g. haskell-cnc and other
bindings packages) can be dropped. It should be kept if the library
works _on_ haskell (haskell-docs, haskell-packages etc.).

> | For the third group, the convention is to name the source package and the
> | application binary package with the upstream software name, and the
> | library binary packages with the convention used by the second group.

I’d say it depends: Is it primarily an application that happens to build
a library, treat it like group 1 (agda, xmonad). If it is primarily a
library with some helper commands, treat it like group 2.

All well, although care should be taken in group 1 and 3 if the name is
generic: Even if the Diff package would provide a binary, the source
package should still be haskell-diff or something the like.