State of the art for debianizing Haskell packages?

I'm trying to debianize my first Haskell package and I wanted to ask what is the current best practice. The most thorough resource I found was this set of these slides from a couple of years ago, which recommends using `cabal-debian`:

http://www.slideshare.net/master_q/debian-loves-haskell

However, after browsing the archives of this mailing list I get the impression that `cabal-debian` is out of date and/or produces "non-idiomatic" debian/control files. So I did some further searching and found these:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Creating_Debian_packages_from_Cabal_package
https://wiki.debian.org/Haskell/CollabMaint/PackageTemplate

However, the Haskell wiki link says that the information is out of date and the debian link is very sparse with information and doesn't provide any tools to automate anything.

Are there any mostly-automated tools that I should be using or will this be a manual process?