Re: Haskell packages: size and number of source packages

Dear Ansgar,

the problem you are raising is indeed a problem, and as far as I could
(which is not much) I have argued towards upstream not to break down
code into too many tiny packages. One package, for example, contains a
definition for tau (as 2*π) and nothing else. Luckily that dependency
was dropped.

But it is simply a fact that in the Haskell ecosystem, packages are much
more lightweight to create and to maintain than in ours, so we will have
to cope with it somehow.

You mention about the -dev/-prof/-doc split. This split is way older
than my involvement in Haskell in Debian, but there is indeed a good
reason: Lots of users of the -dev packages do not need the -prof
package. You don’t see that with the build-dependencies (which almost
always need the -prof packages of their dependencies to build their own
-prof package), but compare:

$ sudo schroot -c sid -- apt-get install --no-install-recommends \
  xmonad libghc-xmonad-contrib-dev
[..]
0 upgraded, 77 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 402 kB/67.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 374 MB of additional disk space will be used.

(which is already scary enough) with

$ sudo schroot -c sid -- apt-get install --no-install-recommends \
  xmonad libghc-xmonad-contrib-dev libghc-xmonad-contrib-prof
[..]
0 upgraded, 89 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 47.1 MB/123 MB of archives.
After this operation, 745 MB of additional disk space will be used.

which certainly does make a big difference.

So if you were to argue that Debian suffers _internally_ from the large
number of packages I’d argue back that it is still in the interest of
our users and therefore it makes sense to leave things as they are.

But you argue with the size of the Packages and Translations files,
which does hurt users, and even all of them. This is an important point.

At least the Translations entries of Haskell packages are highly
repetitive, due to the common Haskell blurb in all descriptions, and the
triplication of each package description. So it would make sense to
check how much the gzip’ed files are smaller if the -prof packages were
dropped, as that is the size that is transferred. (On disk the
additional bytes do not hurt very much I’d say). Unfortunately I am
traveling at the moment and my internet connection is not good enough to
make that measurement.

I’d also like to hear what others on this mailing list think of the
issue.

Greetings from Marktoberdorf,