Re: Working on a stable, vetted Hackage

Hi,

Am Montag, den 26.11.2012, 14:07 +0200 schrieb Michael Snoyman:

>         I suspect a lot of things will be sorted out along the way.
>         But immediately some things that come to mind are:
>
>         * Will there be formal releases?  I think this will be
>         attractive for distros etc
>           more than just having rolling releases.  I think there was
>         already mention
>           possibly of monthly or biweekly.  Releases would also give
>         distros more
>           time to catch up when they are ready, etc.
>

> I'm open to discussion on this. I *don't* think we should just have a
> build bot try and make a release every time a new package is released
> to Hackage.

why not? I could very well imagine stackage being a rolling something,
i.e. always providing the latest set of packages that is internally
consistent and includes the required packages.

Freezing certains states of stackages and calling that a release is of
course possible, but just creates more overlap with what the HP and the
distros is doing.

Also, releases could be done later. First get stackage working in a
rolling fashion and include a relevant number of packages. Then see if
there is a demand of define repository states.

> I'm in favor of including as many packages as possible.

How about: Many generally useful packages as possible. Hackage contains
many packages that are just experiments or academic proof of concept
codes that are only interesting for people looking at the code, but not
for people looking for usable libraries (which is fine, hackage is a
good place for that, and I also have uploaded such package there). Since
making that decision is also something that currently all distro have to
do, bundling our resources by making that distinction in stackage would
be great.