Re: Moving to shared libraries?

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 17.04.2012, 15:49 -0400 schrieb Michael Alan Dorman:
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> writes:
> > yes, it is in fact imposed by upstream. Before using a library, the
> > compiler checks the exposed interface of all dependencies (by way of the
> > package id, which contains a hash of the interface). All we do in Debian
> > is to reflect these relations in the virtual package name.
>
> Ah, OK.
>
> Well, from a cursory reading of the GHC docs, it appears that none of
> that would change WRT dynamic libraries.  So it seems like a wash from a
> packaging perspective, at least.

not sure if I understand „like a wash“ correctly, but as I said: Adding
-dyn variants of _libraries_ is no huge deal. (Still a lot of work, as
every Haskell package needs to be modified)

The issue is that if we start to build the Debian-provided binaries
(e.g. git-annex) against the dynamic libraries, then we suddenly have to
rebuild these packages as well after all library updates. Worse even,
the binaries will be uninstallable intermittently. This is certainly not
a wash then.