dfsg-cleaned upstream archives, darcs or git?

Hi all,

What's the best way to handle DSFG-cleaned upstream archives? It seems
to me that since in darcs we record only the debian/ directory, we don't
have a way to track the upstream sources correctly, so it's not
well-suited for DFSG-cleaned archives.

With git-buildpackage, there are two workflows (import cleaned source as
upstream or import original upstream and have a separate branch for the
DFSG-tree), but I wonder what is most common?

thanks,
iustin