Re: GMP 5 uploaded to Debian, -dev package changed

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 06.03.2011, 09:17 -0600 schrieb Steve M. Robbins:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 07:01:49PM +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I yet have to check if the current ghc packages actually work with
> > libgmp10-dev instead of libgmp3-dev, otherwise this work-around would
> > not help.
>
> OK, please let me know the outcome of this test.

I just installed ghc (version 7.0.2, but it should work for ghc6 as
well) in a chroot, manually installed libgmp10-dev and removed
libgmp3-dev, and could still compile the program "main = print (show
(100^100))".

libgmp3c2 still needs to be installed, but this is taken care of by a
direct dependency.

The binary dependency on libgmp*-dev of ghc cannot be skipped, though.
It passes "-lgmp" to the linker while compiling programs, and this
requires the -dev package.

> > What would break? Other package build-depending on libgmp3-dev might try
> > to build and then fail (if they are hit by incompatibilities). But they
> > are not buildable now either, so while inconvenient, not a big problem.
> >
> > Any other possible consequence?
>
> No, not that I can think of.
>
> OK, so I'll make an upload with libgmp10-dev providing both libgmp-dev
> and libgmp3-dev.

Great, thanks. The alternative ways I thought about was downloading
existing binaries, manually changing the binary deb to change the
dependency and upload it with a binNMU version. Which probably breaks a
dozend policy and common procedure rules. So as the provides on
libgmp-dev seems to be a senible workaround I’d be grateful if we can
take this route.

Thanks for your cooperation and help,