packaging ghc

Hi, I am interested in getting involved with building .deb packages for ghc.  My initial motivation is selfish; I want to learn about building debs so I can deploy some custom ghc packages at work.  But I also hope to be able to use what I learn to contribute back to the ghc packages on ubuntu/debian.

I have been trying to find documentation for building ghc deb packages, but with no luck.  All I have to work with right now is the haskell-devscripts package, but I haven't yet been able to get a successful build.  It would be so helpful if anyone could provide a script that demonstrates how they perform their builds of ghc, or the configuration files for dpkg-buildpackage (the ones in the "debian" directory that gets created by dh_make), or point me to a webpage with any useful information.

Thanks so much.

- Philip