Re: RFH: ghc

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Marco Silva <marcot@debian.org> wrote:
Hi.

Excerpts from Joachim Breitner's message of Sex Jan 14 04:43:42 -0200 2011:
(...)
> Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 08:55 +1100 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> > > So I suppose this is an RFH message.
> >
> > /me raises hand
>
> looks like we are heading towards a team-maintained GHC. Well, it is
> worth a try.
>
> Marco, you have already hacked GHC. Can we count on you with this
> maintenance?

Yes, sure.  I like the idea of a team-maintained GHC.

This is my first time posting to the list, but I thought I'd jump in to say hi after watching things going on here since I'd be happy to lend a hand where it's useful in maintaining GHC. I've built it a number of times from scratch and am fairly familiar with the debian packaing process (even though I've never officially yet joined as a debian developer).

> > > I can still stick around as a
> > > comaintainer but it's a bit too much for myself alone.  What's the
> > > Haskell team's preferred VCS?  I prefer darcs myself but I suppose git
> > > is good too.
> >
> > I prefer darcs over git.
>
> I also think that our current darcs repo scheme (managing only debian/,
> using quilt for patches) is quite sufficient.

Agreed.

I would also prefer darcs over git for ghc.

> > > I suppose uploading GHC 7 to unstable is fine already since it won't
> > > replace ghc6 packages due to renaming it to ghc.  Just add a ghc6
> > > pseudopackage after the release.
> >
> > Sounds reasonable.
>
> We will probably have to add such packages also for all libraries. To
> avoid unnecessary often changes to debian/control, we could again employ
> the haskell-dummy source package to generate all the transitional
> packages.

Also agreed.

How should we start?

Kaol, do you have anything already done that is not in ghc6-6.12.1-13?  If yes,
can you put it in a darcs repo in darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell?

Is the idea to package ghc 7 somewhat like ghc 6 is packaged right now, or to
do major changes at once?  I think it's time to review some things in
haskell-devscripts too, like the (_only_ =) ) bug in the package:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=586723 .

Also, there is the problem of the size of the package.  I thought about
splitting the haskell packages from the compiler package, generating, for
instance, libghc-base-dev, libghc-containers-dev, libghc-cabal-dev and so on.
What do you think?

Greetings.
(...)
--