Re: haskell-skein and exotic architectures

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:02:00PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi Iain,
>
> haskell-skein is failing on armel, mips* and s390:
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=haskell-skein&suite=sid
> possibly, but not necessarily, because SKEIN_NEED_SWAP is only defined
> for i386, amd64, powerc, and sparc in the cabal file. Since you did the
> upload – would you mind looking into the issue?
>
> Feilipe, if you can tell us right away what needs to be done to use
> skein on these architectures, that would save us some time, of course.

Yeah, looks like we have to define SKEIN_NEED_SWAP for all arches. From
skein_port.h:

,----
| Skein is "natively" little-endian (unlike SHA-xxx), for optimal
| performance on x86 CPUs.  The Skein code requires the following
| definitions for dealing with endianness:
|
|    SKEIN_NEED_SWAP:  0 for little-endian, 1 for big-endian
`----

It then goes on to claim auto detection of endianness, but that looks to be
disabled.

So, following the pattern we would have to enumerate all Debian architectures
for endianness. That looks troublesome. Is there a better way?

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]