Re: Add --hash-style=both --no-copy-dt-needed-entries --as-needed to linker flags?

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 05:25:18PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 31.10.2011, 15:57 +0000 schrieb Iain Lane:
> > Matthias Klose (doko, CCed) added a patch to Ubuntu's ghc to pass these
> > flags to ld on linux arches.
> >
> > Should we take this change in Debian too? I understand that the last two
> > will be switched to being the default in ld soon. We should likely
> > follow, and it is the only change that Ubuntu has over Debian.
> >
> > @doko, why did you limit to *-linux*? For --hash-style=both? Could you
> > generalise the patch for Debian (or let us know on which arches things
> > work)?
> >
> > Attached.
>
> Couldn’t we get this included upstream first? I don’t think we have the
> manpower to debug Debian-specific linker-related bugs, so I’d prefer to
> avoid to diverge from upstream.

Well, I guess the correct upstream solution is to stop listing
unnecessary libs, so to a certain extent this might not be desirable
there as it could mask problems. It's really a Debian change to the
default flags.

But you have contacts with upstream, so feel free to raise it there if
you like. Maybe they will think it's a good idea.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]