Re: yesod / libHSrts_thr.a on sparc

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 28.09.2011, 07:20 +0300 schrieb Michael Snoyman:
>> >
>> > Hi Michael,
>> >
>> > Could you comment?
>> >

>> Without knowing the background here, I'd say Yesod is almost always
>> going to be using the multi-threaded runtime. The only exception I can
>> think of is some of the backends like CGI and FastCGI, but those are
>> increasingly not used at all. My guess is you'll be safe.
>
> Let me elaborate a bit: There are architectures where the threaded
> runtime is not available, such as sparc. We have the choice of building
> without -threaded there, or not at all, and would like to hear your
> opinion about this choice.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

Yesod will definitely work in a non-threaded environment, it just
won't be nearly as scalable. For local development and testing,
however, it should work just fine, and it would even work for moderate
loads in production. Actually, if someone really wanted to, they could
always implement a multi-process system and scale pretty far.

In other words, I think it would still be useful in a non-threaded
environment, but I wouldn't recommend it as my first choice for
deployment.

Michael