ld weirdness in unstable

I've noticed this problem with ld process size recently while doing
edit-compile-debug development cycles with git-annex on unstable.

Normally, ld runs in seconds, using maybe 170 mb or memory according to
top, but I suspect real memory is somewhat less.

Sometimes I get into a state where every link takes minutes, and
apparently uses somewhat more memory and typically triggers the OOM
killer.

Whenever this happens, I have to `make clean; make` and then it seems
back to normal.

The build is being driven by ghc --make. And the best way to trigger it
seems to be to make changes to types, or other changes to core
modules that cause a fan-out effect where ghc needs to rebuild lots of
other modules.

--
see shy jo, who needs to find a way to make ghc write objects to a tmpfs,
            pounding my SSD with all these haskell compiles can't be good