Re: ITP: haskell-dbus -- Haskell bindings for D-Bus API

Rafael Cunha de Almeida <rafael@kontesti.me> disse:
> Hello haskell people,
>
> I needed this package for setting up xmonad with xmonad-log-panel.
> Unfortunately, I didn't find it on debian. I've heard from other people
> in #haskell @ freenode.com that they too needed the package for one
> reason or another. So I wrote this ITP:
>
> 	http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=608224
>
> I have done the packaging, now I need to be added to dhg so I can
>
> 	darcs put darcs.debian.org:/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-dbus
>
> in order for you to review and upload it. I created an account at
> alioth, my login is almeida-guest.
>
> In retrospect I should have CCed to this list when I posted the ITP. So
> I'm CCing the bug here.

I've sent the patches I've made to DBus author a while ago and now he answered
saying he will apply it to the library, but that there's better DBus bindings in
hackage. Which would be dbus-core and dbus-client. They indeed seem more
complete. The reason I needed DBus package was for configuring my xmonad as
described in [1]. But there's really nothing special about DBus, I guess I could
adapt it for using dbus-client.

I was able to compile it with minor changes on ghc 7, but it does use
OldException, which is deprecated. Since the ftp masters didn't upload the
package yet, do you think it may be best to drop it and work on dbus-client and
dbus-core? The only thing bad about dbus-client and dbus-core is that they
depend on other hackage packages which aren't in debian yet.

[1] http://uhsure.com/xmonad-log-applet.html