Re: experimental vs. unstable

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 16.01.2011, 11:22 +0200 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 12:51:21PM +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > how about this: We upload ghc-7, once ready, to experimental, along with
> > an updated haskell-devscripts package and two or three libraries to
> > verify that everything is working across most architectures. Then we
> > upload to upstable and let the rest of the libraries follow there.
>
> With or without having the ghc6 pseudopackage in it?  Before or after
> the release?  There's still the chance that ghc6 in testing would need
> an update and that would be a whole different operation if we had
> already started the transition to ghc 7 land.

already with, I don’t think ghc 7 is too unstable or too new to impose
on users of experimental or unstable.

At first, of course, things go to experimental until it is clear that
ghc and some libraries builds on buildd. Maybe by that time, squeeze is
out already...  if not, I’d still like to upload to unstable. Squeeze is
very close and none of the blocking RC bugs are on Haskell or related
packages.

So the chance that ghc6 in squeeze needs an update is low, and will
still be low after the release, the only difference would be whether we
have to do this operation via testing-proposed-updates or
stable-proposed-updates.

But if this is deemed to risky we can just keep experimenting with ghc 7
in experimental until the release is out.