Re: [Gtk2hs-users] libghc6-gtk-dev for lucid and maverick

Hi all,

I'm not sure what the discussion is really about, but I'll try to clarify where I can.

On 23.09.2010, at 14:43, Christian Maeder wrote:

[adding gtk2hs-users@lists.sourceforge.net]

Am 23.09.2010 14:13, schrieb Joachim Breitner:
[...]

I just had a look at the output of
$ diff -ur gtk-0.11.0/ gtk-0.11.2/
and there many changes there (plus bumped dependencies on glib, pango, cairo). I have doubts that the release team will be happy about such a
change during a freeze.

I think (I'm almost sure) the latest version of gtk2hs-buildtools is
needed to build gtk-0.11.2.

Yes, we've added some features to the build tools and used them in 0.11.2.

If that is the case (you can ask d-release, of couse), we’d need to
isolate the change to gtk (or is it maybe glib?) that fixed the problem
and backport it to gtk-0.11.0, upload that to unstable and ask for a
release exception. The changes to
gtk-0.11.2//Graphics/UI/Gtk/General/hsgthread.c and to initGUI could be
releated to threading issues.

I would not try to patch gtk in isolation. What is the opinion of gtk2hs
developers?

There are few new features in 0.11.2. They are mostly bug fixes, including patches to the notorious hsgthread.c file which fixes the bug you are seeing (partly, at least). The main reason to push out 0.11.2 was this bug fix. You could try to incorporate the changes to hsgthread.c and Graphics/UI/Gtk/General/General.chs into 0.11.0 but that's not saving much.

What happens to packages that use glib, cairo, pango and gtk (i.e.
glade)? They need to be recompiled, too.

AFAIK, I allowed the gtk 0.11.2 package to still link against 0.11.0 glib, pango and cairo packages because they do not use the hsgthread.c file stuff.

Hope this helps,
Axel