Re: Let ghc6 Provide ghc6-ghci?

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 16.05.2010, 12:51 +0300 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:16:13PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 03.05.2010, 21:56 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> > > seeing all those build failures of various TH using packages on some
> > > arches, and the inconsistent  handling of it (Architecture field,
> > > Not-for-Us, just letting it fail), I thought of a possibly cleaner and
> > > easier solution.
>
> I wasn't thinking of doing any uploads that'd introduce new binary
> packages until after the release.  IMHO, any ghc6 uploads could
> potentially be too disruptive at this point.

agreed.

> > > Wouldn’t it be very easy for the ghc6 package to add another virtual
> > > package into the Provides: line, indicating that this build supports
> > > ghci/TH? Maybe “ghc6-ghci” (or something better – I don’t care :-))?
>
> AFAIK specifying architectures in control fields only applies to B-D
> and the like.  I can't use Provides like that.

My idea was to have a substvar ${ghc:Provides} in debian/control which
is filled in debian/rules, depending on whether a stage-2 compiler is
built or just a stage-1 compiler (if these are the right terms). This
ways, the value of the Provides can be filled architecture-dependent.

> I would rather use a proper package for that.  It would be a lean one
> but it could still be a place for ghci and runhaskell.

Technically, those TH-using libraries do not the ghci binary... but it
would be sufficient to have a ghci package on those arches where TH
works.

(I’m assuming that ghci is present iff TH works – please correct me if
that is not the case.)

> > no replies so far. Kaol, would you prefer if I’d open wishlist bugs
> > against ghc6 for such ideas, so that they are not forgotten in case you
> > don’t have the time to think about them immediately?
>
> I've thought about this myself and will implement it later.  That I'm
> lazy to write emails is nothing new.  Sorry.

That’s ok as long as you don’t mind me to ask again.