ghc6 6.12.3 and the transition freeze

Replying to debian-release too since they would have a thing or two to
say about this.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:08:55PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> As I can see it currently, the state of haskell in testing is quite
> well. So if we’d upload ghc6-6.12.3 to unstable now and do _not_ make it
> in testing in time, there is not much of a loss. The only possible

I'd really much prefer to not have ghc6 out of sync during the freeze.
It's not really that much of a trouble to talk to RMs about it and see
about it having a smooth transition.  The freeze is more than a date.

> problem is if we do not make it to testing in time _and_ it turns out
> that we have to fix bugs in testing; then we would have to use
> testing-proposed-updates to fix those.

The way I see it myself, t-p-u is a way to get fixes in if the version
in unstable happened to be RC buggy temporarily.  It's not meant as a
way to get updates in when the version in unstable is not even meant
for the upcoming release.

At least the developer's reference makes it sound like it's something
that you should ask the RMs about before using it.

> I think I’m in favor of uploading ghc6-6.12.3 and updated libraries to
> unstable. I’m especially interested in koals opinion, as he is the ghc6
> maintainer.

I was thinking of doing an upload to experimental soon (time
permitting, sigh), but you'd need to convince me that it'd have a
place in unstable.

I'll quote here what the release team said a month ago:

Transition freeze

As announced in the previous release update, we are now instituting a
freeze on new transitions in order to make it easier to finish
transitions without them becoming blocked by other changes in unstable.

It may be possible to include smaller updates if time allows and they do
not interfere with ongoing transitions.  If your upload would require
changes to or rebuilds of other packages, or cause other packages to be
unable to transition to testing, please consider whether doing so would
help improve the quality of Squeeze.  If you believe it would, please
contact us to discuss the issue before uploading.