Re: Some NMU questions

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 13.07.2010, 08:19 +0200 schrieb Giovanni Mascellani:
> I tried the haskell-pkg-debcheck script (the updated one is the one
> written in Haskell, is it?).

correct.

> Maybe we should put a warning about the
> large memory consumption, the first time it froze my system! :-)

Feel free to add one. Or improve the program :-)

> Then, I'd like to know more about the output it produces, that I'm
> attaching to this email. I'm ok with the first two lines, obviously (in
> fact, I'd like Joachim to actually apply them, as haskell-hsx is
> uninstallable in my system right now and I need it to finish happstack).

Thanks for pointing that out, scheduled.

> Then, what do all the other dw lines do? They're there just to be sure
> that next build won't be done against old dependencies, or are there
> other reasons?

The former. There is a bit off gueswork involved when judging whether a
dep-wait is required. For example, the tool spits out
dw haskell-hsp_0.5.2-1 . amd64 i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 powerpc sparc . -m 'libghc6-hjscript-dev (>> 0.5.0-1)'
Altough libghc6-hjscript-dev (== 0.5.0-1) is not installable, so this would not be strictly needed.

Also the ia64 output does not matter to us, as this arch is broken for
us anyways. As a matter of fact, I removed this arch in my local copy
long ago. I’ll push my changes.

I also had some other uncommited local changes.

> BTW, I never found an answer to this question: is it nowadays acceptable
> in cases like this (I want to install a package that needs to be
> rebuilt) for a DD to build the package and then manually binNMU it? I
> don't think I wouldn't do either (I prefer when official packages are
> built under clean buildd and logs are publicly kept for reference), just
> out of curiosity. In my understanding, when there were no buildd around
> all the porting work was done just like this.

It is very discouraged and I think you need a really good reason to do
so. Best check back with debian-release before doing so.

In this case it would be acceptable IMHO if you locally re-build
hjavascript and hsp (unmodified), build your package against that, and
upload your package. It will not built on other architectures until the
binNMUs are built, but at least you don’t have to stop working.