Re: [GHC] #4074: Forking not possible with large processes

Hi,

as you probably know, we have a problem with ghc on slower
architectures. I hope that the cause was found, and a possible fix was
applied to ghc:

Am Dienstag, den 18.05.2010, 13:48 +0000 schrieb GHC:
> #4074: Forking not possible with large processes
> ---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
>     Reporter:  nomeata           |        Owner:  simonmar
>         Type:  bug               |       Status:  infoneeded
>           Os:  Linux             |     Testcase:
> Architecture:  Unknown/Multiple  |      Failure:  None/Unknown
> ---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
> Changes (by simonmar):
>
>   * status:  new => infoneeded
>

> Comment:
>
>  I'm not able to reproduce it, but I've applied the following fix anyway:
>
>  {{{
>  Tue May 18 04:32:14 PDT 2010  Simon Marlow <marlowsd@gmail.com>
>    * Fix #4074 (I hope).
>
>    1. allow multiple threads to call startTimer()/stopTimer() pairs
>    2. disable the timer around fork() in forkProcess()
>
>    A corresponding change to the process package is required.
>  }}}
>
>  and the process package patch:
>
>  {{{
>  Tue May 18 09:36:17 BST 2010  Simon Marlow <marlowsd@gmail.com>
>    * Fix #4074: disable the timer signal around fork()
>  }}}
>
>  If you can test the fix that would be very helpful.

Now I did not have the time to test it yet, and I’m not looking forward
to building ghc6. So maybe someone else wants to try it?

I’m especially thinking of marco, who by know probably knows how to
build ghc quite well :-)
(http://marcotmarcot.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/google-summer-of-code-weekly-report-1/)