Re: Considering uploading ghc6 6.12.1-13

Hi Kaol,

thanks for the heads-up!

Am Dienstag, den 06.04.2010, 23:17 +0300 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> I'm thinking of doing one more upload of ghc6, now that the dust has
> settled somewhat.  With luck, this would be the last revision before
> the release.  Speak up if there's anything you'd still like to see
> fixed.

yes, see my mail from March 5th (attached for convenience). If you think
the patch is non-intrusive enough to be backported, this would allow us
to update hlist and clean the DHG pet.cgi a bit.

> One thing that I'd like to leave until after the release is to split
> ghc6 into a couple more packages, one for haddock and other for the
> dynamic libs.  This would reduce the package size (re #571537).  IIRC
> there's some hope that 6.12.2 would generate smaller binaries, too.

You can, once the -13 transition is through, upload a -14 with these
changes – if they make it in time, great, if not, not a problem either.

@everyone: Should we update our libraries to the
very-soon-to-be-released platform? Some are already on that version, see
http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell/Platform
I think we should do this now, as we need to recompile everything
anyways.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I wanted to get rid of the darcs-checkout packaged hlist, and package
0.2 as it is on hackage. Unfortunately, it does not build with ghc6-6.12
(it did with 6.10):
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/HList/0.2/logs/failure/ghc-6.12

There is a ticket against ghc6
(http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3850), it is fixed and
merged. So we have to wait for a new ghc6 release to build the hlist
version in darcs now, or maybe kaol backports that fix (patch attached)
if he has to do an upload anyways.

[Fix Trac #3850
simonpj@microsoft.com**20100208163751
 Ignore-this: ed77f179dafe3f2d32971364e604e518

 This patch simply avoids a needless difference in behaviour from
 6.10, and one that happens to affect HList. See Note [Stupid theta].
] {
hunk ./compiler/rename/RnSource.lhs 729
-    h98_style = case condecls of
-		     L _ (ConDecl { con_res = ResTyH98 }) : _  -> True
-		     _    		                       -> False
+    h98_style = case condecls of	 -- Note [Stupid theta]
+		     L _ (ConDecl { con_res = ResTyGADT {} }) : _  -> False
+		     _    		                           -> True
+
hunk ./compiler/rename/RnSource.lhs 828
+Note [Stupid theta]
+Trac #3850 complains about a regression wrt 6.10 for
+     data Show a => T a
+There is no reason not to allow the stupid theta if there are no data
+constructors.  It's still stupid, but does no harm, and I don't want
+to cause programs to break unnecessarily (notably HList).  So if there
+are no data constructors we allow h98_style = True
+
}