Re: Haskore non-Haskell dependencies

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.03.2010, 09:37 -0430 schrieb Ernesto
Hernández-Novich:
> Haskore has several functions to actually play the music performance: a
> couple of them are for Windows and the remaining ones for Unix/Linux
> environment.
>
> Should I patch out the obviously unusable Windows functions?

Haskore is a library, right? So some applications might try to link to
these functions and decide at runtime whether to use them or not?

If the library builds fine and is usable without patching those out, and
they trigger errors at runtime, I think you should not modify the
library API.

> The Unix/Linux usable functions are based on external programs, i.e.
> playLinux attempts to use 'playmidi', playAlsa attempts to use 'pmidi'
> whereas playTimidity and playTimidityJack attempt to use timidity with
> different flags. The invocation of external programas does _not_ use an
> absolute path, should I patch that so they use /usr/bin/playmidi et.
> al.?

I think it’s ok to use the relative path. The user might put a playmidi
in ~/.bin for some reason, and then haskore-using programs should be
able to use it.

> Should I make the library Depend on the _three_ utilities or on any one
> of them? Or should they be Suggests/Recommends plus some README to
> explain what's going on?

As it’s a library, I’d say you should not depend on them. If anything
should depend, then the programs built with the library.

But a suggests + README mention would not hurt, to give the is issue
some visibility.

> There are a couple of binaries that come along with Haskore that could
> become a part of a haskore-bin package. In my first test of the package,
> these binaries were NOT built by default. Haskore ships with a standard
> Makefile which effectively builds them. What's the proper incantation in
> debian/rules to that effect?

Are these binary required to use the library? Optional? Useful on their
own? Just examples?

> Finally, all the library is a Literate Haskell Source with LaTeX markup
> comprising the beautiful Haskore guide. The code does not have Haddock
> tags so libghc6-haskore-doc will only have the API stubs listed; I
> wonder what's the proper way to generate the PDF from the .lhs source so
> the package can ship really useful documentation for the end user (a
> musician/programmer or the other way around :-). I've never had to build
> PDF documentation in a Debian package before.

Have a look at lhs2tex, which I just tried to fix, and frown, which is
using it.