Re: Timeouts

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 06.03.2010, 10:26 +0100 schrieb Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt:
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> writes:
> >> Done. Got lost in the cracks somehow. Do you know why its hitting
> >> timeouts on other archs? Is this something we could fix?
> > Probably just because it needs a lot of memory and CPU power, and the
> > other arches have difficulties compiling the package in time.
>
> This seems a bit more problematic than I originally assumed.
>
> Consider for example agda on sparc:
> https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=agda;ver=2.2.6-3;arch=sparc;stamp=1267334936
> sparc is not a fast architecture, but also not the slowest one supported
> by Debian. In this case, it failed to build the package because a single
> file needed more than 500 minutes to compile. If this is indeed not due
> to a bug, but expected behaviour, it seems not supportable anymore. How
> should slower archs (like mips*, armel) handle such packages? Is
> splitting this up in smaller files an option?

Even if possible, I’m not sure if that would help: Having more smaller
files will give more output on the build log, but still take the very
long time it takes.

If the package requires too much resources for such an architecture to
build, maybe it’s an indication that these architectures are also a too
weak to use the package, and therefore there would be no loss to drop
support for these packages on the affected arches (i.e. remove any
existing old builds and add the files to N-F-U)? At least until a user
on these arches complains?