Re: W file-missing-in-md5sums (113 packages)

Hi,

Am Montag, den 01.03.2010, 15:28 +1100 schrieb Trent W. Buck:
> This seems to be a systemic bug in haskell-devscripts:
>
>   http://lintian.debian.org/tags/file-missing-in-md5sums.html
>
> What should be done about it?

I asked on d-devel if it’s a lintian bug if it expects md5sums for files
in /var. Most responses indicated that a file should either not be
modifiable (and thus be listed in the md5sums file), or be modifiable
and be a conffile in /etc.

Now I don’t think we want to handle conffiles just for the very odd use
cases where someone would want to hide an installed package. Our
possibilities are:

 a) Ignore the issue (it’s just a warning).

 b) Add the file to the md5sums file again. This would mean that the
admin gets md5sum errors when he hides a package. This would be ok IMHO.
Are there other cases where the package file is modified?

 c) Add a lintian override. I personally don’t like lintian overrides.
Lintian is a pure packaging helper tool and the shipped binaries should
not contain files of no use for the user. But that’s just my opinion,
and not a strong one either.

Greetings,
JOachim