Re: ghc6-6.12.1 is out

I was waiting for Kaol to respond to this first, but he's been quiet
so I'll jump in.

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> as can be seen on http://haskell.org/ghc/index.html, ghc6-6.12 is out,
> so we should think about how we want to tackle that upgrade. Some open
> questions are:
>
>  * Upload ghc6 to experimental first and test a few things, or get it
> going in unstable directly?

I like to see it go into experiemental first so we don't break unstable
for any more time than is absolutely necessary.

If its in experimental I pledge to install it in a chroot and test build
all my packages and give it a thorough testing.

>  * What general changes do we want to implement now that everything gets
> recompiled anyways. Some ideas:
>  a) Hash-based-dependencies (or, in ghc-speech,
>     package-id-based-dependencies). See
>     http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.1/html/users_guide/packages.html#package-ids
>     for more information.

I think this is a really good idea and I think it will save us a lot
time in the long run.

+1

>  b) Get rid of -prof packages and merge them into the -dev package.
>     (Idea by kaol, came up in the thread “GHC 6.12 and shared
>     libraries”, no conclusion, but I’m supportive of it.)

+1

>  c) -doc package dependencies. Predominant opinion was to have them as
>     hard dependencies, I think, but this needs to be implemented in
>     haskell-devscripts.

+1

>  d) -dev-packages without maintainer scripts. If packages get
>     registered via a trigger in the ghc6 package, or if they drop their
>     package information in a directory where ghc-pkg automatically
>     merges them from (Kaol discovered code about that once), life would
>     be a lot simpler, I’d say.

+1

> So, what do you think should go in, what can wait, and what am I
> missing? This question goes especially to kaol, who probably already has
> plans of his own :-)

Its more a matter of how much time and effort people are willing to put
in. The summer break is comming up here in the southern hemisphere and I
have two weeks off, plus a little more free time than usual. I'm willing
to help where I can.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo