Re: Next Ubuntu release

Greetings,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:20:43AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs@mega-nerd.com> writes:

For those interested in Haskell packages for Ubuntu, it is important to
note that in next 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx, packages will be imported from
Debian testing and not from unstable as it was done previously.

Searching on packages.debian.org it seems that ghc 6.8.2 is still in
testing, and, as you all know, ghc 6.10 is in unstable as well as Ubuntu
9.10.

Does this mean that 10.04 will actually regress to the previous version,
warts and all?  Are we going to lose all the great work put in by your
guys that finally made Ubuntu's Haskell offerings usable?

If so, this is a pretty sad thing to do.

No! Developers are free to pull from unstable if they wish — testing is just the default. Actually we have a few NEW packages in sid which I was going to sync over to Lucid, but the tool I was using (multidistrotools) is pointing at squeeze so my view of the world is pretty limited. I'm working on getting this sorted.

(also, package versions in the archive have to be monotonically increasing, so it's not possible for this kind of downgrading to happen automatically)

If 6.12 gets to squeeze in time (February) then there is no problem. If it doesn't then there is also no problem; I'll just get it from unstable instead, but it will be a bit more manual.

Don't panic :)

Regards,
Iain